Saturday, September 15, 2012

My First Pillow Cover

A few weeks ago I decided that it was high time I made tried my hand at making a pillow cover. Since I don't have a lot of places for displaying accent pillows, I wanted to use a single pillow form and change the cover out with the seasons. Lucky for me, Allison at Cluck Cluck Sew had recently posted a tutorial for making a pillow cover that was so adorable, I just had to try it.

The process was easy: cut out one pieces of fabric for the background of the front of your pillow, two pieces to overlap for the back, and various pieces of small fabric to create the illusion of a tree on the front. Not too hard, right?

This was also a perfect opportunity for me to pull out my AccuQuilt Go! fabric cutter. All those little leaves needed to be uniform, right? I sorted through the dies that I have and selected the Go! Round Flower die, which happens to have the perfect-sized leaf on it. Using the Go! made cutting out all those leaves quick and easy.

Photo from www.accuquilt.com

Later, I ran into a little problem when I actually began using a zigzag stitch around all the little leaves...my background fabric started to pucker. Another duh moment! Silly me had forgotten that it's always a good idea to use a stabilizer fabric whenever you're sewing on applique. So I ripped out the stitching around the few leaves I'd already done, attached a stabilizer to the back of my fabric, and started over. Perfect!


Sewing the front and envelope back together were easy-peasy. For the back, I chose a pretty fabric in fall colors that coordinated with the leaves.


One issue that I had with the tutorial is that my cover ended up being a little large for the sixteen-inch pillow form that was called for. See how much it bunches at the bottom, rather than being all tight and smooth? Or perhaps my pillow form was a bit smaller than the advertised sixteen inches? Either way, the next time I'm shopping at JoAnn's, I'll pick up an eighteen-inch pillow form to try. I think it will be just perfect!

This is a quick and easy project. If you'd like to give it a try, check it out here.

3 comments:

  1. Love your pillow cover! I'd love to make one and will check out the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute pillow - your stitches look so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I've seen these done on canvas and other mediums but this is by far my favorite. I love throw pillows!
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete