Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My First Quilt Along

One of the quilting blogs that I've enjoyed following is written by a mother-and-daughter team, Clover and Violet. They are hosting a quilt along called Garden Steps to create a gorgeous quilt using Courthouse Steps blocks with embroidered centers, perfect for spring. Since the piecing of these blocks looks simple, I decided that this might be the perfect introductory QAL for a novice quilter like me.

The blocks will be constructed from fat quarters using two color ways so that the results will look something like this:


I've agonized for a week over the fabrics to use for this quilt and finally came up with twelve fabrics that complement each other in a turquoise and royal blue combination. Here are my final choices:


Today I'll be prewashing, ironing, and cutting. I'm praying that these fabrics hold up well; all are from the Quilter's Showcase line at Jo-Ann's Fabric Stores (except for one that I pulled from my stash). I stocked up on a yard each of twenty different bright springlike fabrics while they were on sale for $2.49 a yard, so hopefully they will "play nicely" and not shrink too much or run.

I'll be using DMC floss for the embroidered centers but haven't picked out my colors yet; I'll wait until Clover and Violet start unveiling the patterns for each. I hope my DMC collection from nearly thirty years ago also holds up well...my floss was purchased back when I was pregnant with my oldest child and doing cross-stitch patterns for his nursery!

Hugs,
Pam

1 comment:

  1. Pam, so glad you're joining us! Your fabrics are lovely. I imagine they'll work great, especially since you'll be prewashing. My first quilt {I showed it a few weeks back} is made entirely of Joann's fabric, and has been to college and back, had lots of love and washing, and still looks great 10 years later! Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete