Saturday, March 17, 2012

I'm On A Roll...

I finally finished the All Things Cupcakes runner that was made from a kit from Connecting Threads. One of the things I love about many of the patterns that are written by Connecting Threads is that they give you cutting diagrams for the fabric; that's such a huge help for a beginner like me.

This project required a lot of "firsts" from me: my first attempt at appliqué, my first time using a satin stitch on my sewing machine, my first attempt at free motion quilting, the first time I used invisible thread, and my first attempt at mitered binding corners that weren't 90 degrees. Now that was challenging!


Speaking of Connecting Threads, they are having a sale this month on select solids and mirage fabrics plus some from their collections. I couldn't resist; had to place an order. It came in a few days ago. I ordered half-yards of two dozen fabrics and a full yard of two of the fun fabrics from their Folk Heart collection. Plus their binding clips from Clover were on sale, so I picked up a couple of packages of those, as well. I can't wait to try them out on the next binding that I hand-stitch.


I'm still working on the Courthouse Steps blocks for the Garden Steps Quilt-and-Stitch-Along sponsored by Clover and Violet. Six blocks pieced; six more to go. Then the embroidering starts.


I'm also participating in the bingo game that is the 2012 May For Me project hosted by:

Sharon at Vrooman's Quilts
Snoodles at Lily Pad Quilting

If you'd like to play along, Marcia's posts about the project are grouped here; she did a great job of linking of where you can find different information about all of the fun.

My bingo card is still in the works; I had to stop the piecing process long enough to learn how to use the embroidery features of my sewing machine. When it's finished I'll be sure to share it with you here.

One hard lesson that I did learn is that when folks tell you to sew your seams in alternate directions when you're piecing in rows, PAY ATTENTION! Apparently if you sew all your seams in the same direction you'll end up losing a millimeter or so in width with each seam you sew. The end result is that my bingo card is 1/4" narrower at the bottom that it is at the top...all due to losing a millimeter at the bottom of each seam. Had I alternated directions with my seams it wouldn't have happened. *sigh*

Happy quilting!

Hugs,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment