Monday, February 27, 2012

Getting Back Into The Swing

...of sewing, that is. Now that the kids have gone home and my household is returning to normal, I'm finally able to find some time to disappear into my sewing room. I spent a couple of afternoons folding fabric, trying to finish organizing my stash, but decided to take a break and do some actual sewing.

I went back to my very first project, the All Things Cupcakes runner kit from Connecting Threads, and managed to finish it to the point of quilting. I pulled out my new basting pins and pinned away with no real idea of how I was going to quilt. At that point I was a little stumped; the applique in the centers of the blocks threw me.

Being a total newbie, I thought that purchasing a walking foot would allow me to quilt to my heart's content. Ummm, it would if I only intended to quilt in a straight line, I learned. I'd like to try my hand at free-motion quilting, so yesterday I placed an order for a free-motion foot for my sewing machine.


In the meantime, I decided to finish this runner by quilting in the ditch, much like I did on the runner I made for my mom's birthday. If my free-motion foot arrives quickly, I might do some echo stitching around the cupcake appliques.

So...any suggestions of what else I might do to quilt this runner? Suggestions are definitely most welcome!

I also finally got around to putting the border on the Yellow Brick Road quilt today. That poor quilt top has been languishing borderless for quite a while now. I'm still debating about what to do for the backing; I'm half a yard short to do it in all the same fabric (yes, I'm still learning hard lessons). I'll probably just do large blocks of what I have, interspersed with coordinating blocks of a couple of other fabrics. 

So that's what I've been up to this week. Hopefully I can keep sneaking off to my sewing room through the week and get more done. I'm anxious to try a couple of smaller projects, like a small zipper bag or a mug mat or two. When I do, you'll be the first to know.

Hugs,
Pam

1 comment: